Pages

Tuesday, August 17, 2010

Stockholm

On the tunnelbana (subway) in Stockholm
Things have been going really great here in Sweden.  I went to see A Midsummer Night's Dream in Swedish.  The play was in Sunne which is about a 45 min drive away, instead of a theater it was in a barn which had been revamped inside so that the was a stage and seating.  I understood the majority of the play, it really helped that I was familiar with it in the first place, though. It was really funny and I am so grateful that I got to go and see it, it was an amazing experience.  Mom, you would have absolutely LOVED it, I thought about you the whole time!

The next day we dropped off Mikaela at the train station so that she could go to a church camp for 5 days.  Then we hit the road to drive to Stockholm for the weekend.  Ulf and Bente needed to pick up an aquarium for their office and we decided to make a weekend out of the trip, since the drive to Stockholm is so long (6 hours)!  Half way to Stockholm we stopped in a town called Örebro and had lunch on a bench in front of a castle.  It was a beautiful day out and we took a small walk around the castle and then hopped back in the car to go on to Stockholm to pick up the aquarium. After we picked up the aquarium we checked into our hotel and then when out to dinner.  We picked a nice Persian restaurant, they had delicious food! We had a busy day on Saturday, we started out with shopping at Zara, a clothing store that I particularly like, then we went to the church where the Crown Princess Victoria got married to Daniel earlier this summer.  Later we went to the Moderna Museet, a modern art museum, which was awesome and a major highlight of the trip! We ate lunch at a vegetarian cafe which was also delicious. We spent the rest of the day wondering into shops in Gamla Stan, the old part of Stockholm and had Ben and Jerrys ice cream and people watched.  Last, we took a walk in the animal park in Skansen with Ulf's brother Kimmo and his wife.  We drove back home on Sunday.  I had such an amazing time in Stockholm and I can't wait to go back!

This week Ulf and Bente have gone back to work after their 6 week holiday, I have been home alone because Mikaela is still at camp, on Monday I went into town for a couple hours to look in shops and go to the library to check out a new book to read.  The library is very nice here and has a lot of interesting books in English, I think that I will be spending a lot of time there during this year.  After dinner I asked Bente to teach me how to knit, she spends a lot of time knitting and it looks really fun.  So, I have started to knit and am working on a light blue hat, which I hope to finish by fall.

I went into town today to meet with some of my classmates, they seemed pretty nice.  They showed me around the school and then we went to get ice cream.  

I'm really excited to start school! Tomorrow Bente and I will be going in to set up my class schedule and to meet some of my teachers!

I love and miss you all, Thanks for reading, I hope you enjoy!
//Carina


3 comments:

  1. Hej, Carina! Jag älskar att läsa din blogg! Det är så roligt att läsa. Jag tycker om att blunda och tänka på dig i Gamla Stan och Storkyrkan och Zara, osv. Vilken upplevelse! Det är så underbart med bilder också. Jag är så stolt över dig. Kate Fullmer hälsar så mycket. STOR KRAM från din mamma! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Carina,

    So glad to hear you're off to a running start! I hope the first days of school go well and that your classmates are warm and welcoming. Have fun knitting. If I remember, I'll send you an essay I wrote about learning to knit in Norway. Bente would probably enjoy it, too. Send me your address.
    Lynn

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Carina,
    Hmmm, knitting, I like that. My Grandma taught me to knit (well, at least the basics) when I was a little kid. I don't knit much now, but I sure do love buying knitting magazines!! LOL
    Love and hugs,
    Susan

    ReplyDelete