Pages

Saturday, August 28, 2010

Skolan

So, school has finally started and I am finally updating my blog.  I started writing this update awhile ago but was always found busy doing something else instead.  Anyway, school started on Tuesday, August 24th at 8:00am.  I got on the bus at 7:30 and was in art classroom 28 right on time!  The first week was really more of an orientation week and we didn't have any classes.   I go to Solbergagymnastiet which translates to Sunny Mountain High School and I am taking the Estet line and specifically bild, which means the art line and am in the 3rd class aka a senior.  There are 8 of us (including me) in my class by choosing the art line we have a heavier class load of art classes and a lighter load of math, science, and gym classes.


The first day they passed out schedules to everyone in my class except me because I don't have a schedule yet.  Next week when classes start I will go to classes with my classmates and after the week I will choose which ones I liked the best. We have a different schedule every day and run on a trimester year.  It's likely that some school days will be longer than others and there is at least a 15 min break between every class.  On breaks students usually go to the cafe in the school to buy coffee and play cards.  Schools in Sweden are not as strict as schools in the US, most of the students in my class snus and smoke, they snus in school all the time, even right in front of teachers and it's completely acceptable. They are free to go outside of the school and smoke on their breaks.  In the lunchroom there is a specified bucket for snus and gum.  It's so different.  They also call their teachers by their first names, which I actually like.


I'm really excited to get started on my classes.  I'm most excited for the fact that I was told that I don't have to do the 100pt senior project.  I look forward to school every day, mostly because my new classmates have been so welcoming to me, I really like them! I'm having so much fun here, I can't believe a whole month has already gone by!
I miss and love you all!
//Carina (:

3 comments:

  1. I love hearing from you and reading your blog. Love, Grandma Ruth

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hej, Carina!
    Det var jätte roligt att läsa din post om din vecka. Jag är så glad att alla har varit så snälla i skolan och att du gillar dina klasskamrater. Vilken upplevelse du har haft hittils. Jag älskar dig, min carinabeanabug!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Carina

    What an adventure ... i just read your posts. So glad to hear that you are enjoying your experience. What a wonderful opportunity!

    It was fascinating to read about the differences in US & Swedish schools and culture. And, I was surprised that at the Swedish music festival, the band was singing in English... and found it interesting that the audience (all ages) all seemed to be "dancing".

    I look forward to reading more about your experience ... thanks for keeping us informed.
    Irene Kelly. EP AM Rotary President

    ReplyDelete